In February 2015, the government published the “Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia 2020” which focused on boosting research, improving care and raising public awareness about the condition in England.
The Prime Minister set two key objectives for the Challenge on Dementia 2020:
- the best country in the world for dementia care and support and for people with dementia, their carers and families to live; and
- the best place in the world to undertake research into dementia and other neuro-degenerative diseases.
To find out how Redcar & Cleveland were meeting the challenges set out by the Prime Minister’s Challenge we carried out engagement activities with people living with dementia and their carers to gather their views and experiences.
We had the opportunity to speak to individuals and their carers at the following venues:
- Carers Together Support Group, Guisborough
- Clevearc Day Centre
- Dementia training Session, provided by the University of Stirling
- Information & Dementia Session, Eston
- Westmorland Activity & Wellbeing Centre, Redcar