Based on patient experience received regarding access issues to dental care for people with mobility problems, we attended the NHS England Call to Action Event where one of the objectives for discussion was Access.
This survey identifies:
- Five major districts within the Borough representing 25% of the Borough’s population are denied local access to a dentist. This statistic will impact significantly on the NHS’s desire to improve dental and oral heath in Redcar & Cleveland.
- Five of the fourteen dental practices offer home visits in the districts: Skelton, Redcar, Normanby and Guisborough x 2. Which eases the access to dental practice position for the disabled and infirm.
- Two of the dental practices (Redcar and Skelton) operate within buildings that are specifically designed to facilitate access for wheelchair users, the disabled and or infirm.
- An analysis of access to the sixteen dental practices within Redcar & Cleveland is summarised as:
- Full disabled access (no assistance required): 2
- Disabled access (with staff and or mechanical aids assistance): 10
- No disabled access facility: 04